About Dr. Almgren
Michaela Almgren, PharmD, MS is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Outcomes Sciences at the South Carolina College of Pharmacy in Columbia, South Carolina. She also maintains a practice site in pharmacy operations at Palmetto Health Richland. Her career prior to entering pharmacy school includes extensive pharmaceutical industry experience. Dr. Almgren worked for several years at GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer where she was involved in drug formulation and analytical method development. She received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the USC South Carolina College of Pharmacy in 2010. Upon her graduation, she joined the faculty at South University School of Pharmacy in Columbia, SC as an Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice. There she taught lectures in a great variety of courses and lab exercises, including sterile compounding and USP 797.
Dr. Almgren’s research interests have been focused on applications of active learning techniques in dual campus environments, and the use of flipped classroom model in pharmacy education. She is also interested in sterile compounding and training associated with USP 797 in the pharmacy schools across the US. Michaela is an active member of a variety of professional pharmacy organizations, including the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists. Outside of work, she enjoys spending time with her family, gardening and traveling.
Doctor of Pharmacy
University of South Carolina, 2010
Master’s Degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of Florida, 2010
Bachelor of Science
Columbia College, Chemistry and Biology, 1997
- Sterile compounding practices and USP 797 training and compliance across the US health systems, sterile compounding training in pharmacy schools in the US.
- Active learning teaching techniques in dual campus environment and use of flipped classroom model in pharmacy education.
Certifications/ Board Licensing
- Pharmacist Immunization Certificate, 2010
- SC Pharmacist License
- NC Pharmacist License
- HI Pharmacist License
- Braga SF, Almgren MM. Complementary Therapies in Cystic Fibrosis: Nutritional Supplements and Herbal Products. Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 2013 Feb;26(1):14-7.
- Wynn W, Almgren MM, Stroman R, Clark K. Pharmacist’s Toolbox for Smoking Cessation. Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 2012 Dec;25(6):591-9.
- Poster presentation at 2012 AACP Annual Meeting in Kissimmee FL: “Effectiveness of Blended Teaching Method for Pharmaceutical Calculations”
- Poster presentation at 2012 AACP Annual Meeting in Kissimmee FL: “Laboratory Exercise to Enhance Integration and Application of Basic Sciences to Pharmacy Practice in Students”