About Dr. Bosso
John A. Bosso earned his Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy and Doctor of Pharmacy degrees from the State University of New York at Buffalo. Since graduation, he has served on the faculties of the University of Utah Colleges of Pharmacy and Medicine, the University of Houston College of Pharmacy, and Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. He is currently Professor, Department of Clinical Pharmacy & Outcomes Sciences, South Carolina College of Pharmacy, MUSC Campus and Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina.
Clinically, Dr. Bosso serves as a Clinical Specialist in Infectious Diseases and the program director of the Infectious Diseases Residency at MUSC. He is board certified in Pharmacotherapy with added qualifications in Infectious Diseases. His research has focused on anti-infective pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and efficacy in both pediatric and adult patients as well as the nature of the antibiotic use – resistance development relationship. He has published his work in professional and scientific journals such asPharmacotherapy, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, The Journal of Infectious Diseases, The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, Clinical Infectious Diseases, The European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, and Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.
He has written chapters for textbooks including Pharmacotherapy. A Pathophysiologic Approach, The Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program,and The Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. He is a member of the editorial boards of Pharmacotherapy and The Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Dr. Bosso has been active in a number of professional organizations. He was a founding member and is a past-president of the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists and is also a past president of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. He is a Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Doctor of Pharmacy
State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Pharmacy,1973
Bachelor of Science
State University of New York at Buffalo, Pharmacy, 1970
Certifications/ Board Licensing
- Infectious Diseases, 1999
- Pharmacotherapy, Certificate #291170. 1991
Awards & Honors
- Phi Lambda Sigma (Pharmacy Leadership Society) Proctor and Gamble National Leadership Award, 2016
- Medical University of South Carolina Distinguished Faculty Service Award, 2016.
- Distinguished Practitioner, National Academies of Practice, 2011.
- Teacher of the Month, 2nd Year College of Medicine Class, September, 2010.
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2008. Professor of the Year, 3rd Year College of Pharmacy Class, 2009.
- Merck Pharmacist Achievement Award (Outstanding achievement in the Profession of Pharmacy), 2004.
- Phi Lambda Sigma (Awarded membership; Pharmacy Leadership Society), 2002.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy-Miles Infectious Disease Research Fellowship (Preceptor), 1995.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy-Merck Sharp & Dohme Infectious Disease Research Fellowship (Preceptor), 1991.
- Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 1987.
- Award for Achievement in the Professional Practice of Hospital Pharmacy (American Society of Hospital Pharmacists, Research and Education Foundation), 1980.
- Lederle Faculty Award, 1975.
- Rho Chi Society (Pharmacy Honor Society), 1974.
- New York State Regents Scholarship, 1965-70.
- O’Brien KA, Zhang J, Mauldin PD, Gomez J, Hurst JM, Boger MS, Bosso JA. The impact of a stewardship-initiated restriction on empiric use of ciprofloxacin on Escherichia coli urinary isolates non-susceptibility. Pharmacotherapy 2015;35:464-9 (published online 5/26/15). doi: 10.1002/phar.1593
- Timbrook T, Maxam M, Bosso JA. Antibiotic discontinuation rates associated with positive respiratory viral panel and low procalcitonin results in proven or suspected respiratory infections. Infect Dis Ther 2015;4:297-306. (published online 9/7/14). doi:10-1007/s40121-015-0087-5.
- Tong MC, Wisniewski CS, Wolf B, Bosso, JA. Comparison of Linezolid and Vancomycin for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Pneumonia: Institutional Implications. Pharmacotherapy 2016;36:731-9. (published online 6/30/2016). doi: 10.1002/phar.1771
- Salgado CD, Mauldin PD, Bosso JA. Analysis of an outbreak of Clostridium difficile infection controlled with enhanced infection control measures. Am J Infect Control, 2009;37:458-64.
- Mauldin PD, Salgado CD, Hansen IS, Durup DT, Bosso JA. Attributable hospital cost and length of stay associated with healthcare associated infections caused by antibiotic-resistant, Gram-negative bacteria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54:109-15.
- Bosso JA, Mauldin PD, Salgado SD. The Association Between Antibiotic Use and Resistance: The Role of Secondary Antibiotics. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2010;29:1125-9. DOI 10.1007/s10096-010-0972-5
- Bosso JA, Chisholm-Burns M, Nappi J, Gubbins PO, Ross LA. Should Academic Pharmacy Departments Engage in Benchmarking? Am J Pharm Ed 2010;74(8), Article 140.
- Kaye KS, Auwaerter P, Bosso JA, Dean NC, Doern GV, Kays MB, Pogue JM. Strategies to address appropriate fluoroquinolone use in the hospital. Hosp Pharmacy 2010;45:844-53.
- Church EC, Mauldin PD, Bosso JA. Antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa related to quinolone formulary changes: An interrupted time series analysis. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32:400-1.
- Bosso JA, Drew RH. Application of antimicrobial stewardship to optimize management of community acquired pneumonia. Int J Clin Pract 2011;65(7):775-83.
- Bosso JA, Nappi J, Rudisill C, Wellein M, Bookstaver PB, Swindler J, Mauldin PD. The relationship between vancomycin trough concentrations and nephrotoxicty: A prospective, multi-center trial. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2011;55:5475-9. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00168-11
- Schwinghammer TL, Rodriquez TE, Weinstein G, Sorofman BA, Bosso JA, Kerr RA, Haden NK. AACP Strategy for addressing the professional development needs of department chairs, Am J Pharm Ed 2012;76(6), Article S6.
- Bosso JA, Sieg A, Mauldin PD. A comparison of hospital-wide and custom antibiograms for clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Hosp Pharmacy 2013;48:295-301.
- Hurst JM, Bosso JA. Antimicrobial stewardship in the management of community-acquired pneumonia. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2013;26:184-8. doi:10.1097/QCO.0b013e32835d0a8f
- Ullman MA, L. Parlier G, Warren JB, Mateo N, Harvey C, Sullivan CJ, Bergsbaken R, Mitropoulos IF, Bosso JA, Rotschafer JC. The economic impact of starting, stopping, and restarting an antibiotic stewardship program: A 14-year experience. Antibiotics 2013;2:256-64. doi:10.3390/antibiotics2020256
- Davis, SL, Sheetz MH, Bosso JA, Goff D, Rybak MJ. The adherence to the 2009 consensus guidelines for vancomycin dosing and monitoring practices: A cross-sectional survey of United States Hospitals. Pharmacotherapy 2013;33:1256-63. (published online ahead of print 7/29/13). doi:10.1002/phar.1327.
- Bosso JA, Haines ML, Gomez J. Stable susceptibility to aminoglycosides in an age of low level, institutional use. Infect Dis Ther 2013;2:209-15. (published online 10/22/13). doi:10.1007/s40121-013-0016-4
- Bosso JA. Lack of Change in Susceptibility of Psesudomonas aeruginosa in a Pediatric Hospital Despite Changes in Antibiotic Utilization. Infect Dis Ther 2014;3:55-9. (published online 5/16/14). doi: 10.1007/s40121-014-0028-8
- Justo JA, Bosso JA. Adverse reactions associated with systemic polymyxin therapy. Pharmacotherapy 2015;35:28-33. doi: 10.1002/phar.1493